Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Yay, Women!

Today is International Women's Day.  As a woman who knows lots of amazing women, I say hell yeah to International Women's Day.  It could be argued that doing a shoe post to celebrate isn't very enlightened or feminist, but oh well.  I'm not insisting women should wear heels, I'm not saying all women love shoes, I'm just writing a silly blog post, not intended to offend or minimize anyone or anything.  If you want something with a little more substance then check out these young women dressed up as amazing women from history.  It's pretty awesome.  If I weren't so tired I would try to write a more substantive post, but alas, I will have to leave that to others tonight, most of whom are more than likely to be better written and/or spoken than I.  

According to Wikipedia, the first occurrence of  this day was in 1909, so I decided to look at shoes from each decade since.  As always, I make no claims that the dates of these shoes are accurate.


1909 wedding shoes!


1919.  The shoes are cool, but I especially like that this picture shows a bit of the dresses, too.


1929.  Not my favorite color, necessarily, but you know I love t-straps.  I like to try and imagine fun outfits that would go with these.
 

1939.  These are really kind of weird, but really interesting.


1949.  They're a little clunky, but also really fun.  Again, I'm imagining outfits.  And hair.  Really awesome 40s hair like Victory rolls.


1959. LOVELOVELOVE.


1969.  I chose this picture more for the tights than the shoes.  The shoes are cool, but those tights are amazingly crazy.


1979.  Crazy heels aren't a new thing, y'all!


1989.  Is that measuring tape?  I mostly chose this pair because the heel shape is so very 80s.


1999.  Had to go with a good, chunky heel for the 90s.


2009.  Where's the arch support?  But I like the colors.


2016.  I love these, too.  I'm not this pretty or dainty, but I still love these.

Thank you to women everywhere for everything they do, for those who have gone before to pave the way, and those who continue to work and fight.

Memory Lane:  2013. 2014

3 Things:
  1. All of the fabulous women in my life:  Moms, grandmas, sisters, friends, aunties, nieces mentors.
  2. Coffee with one of those fabulous women.  I needed some social time away from the office.
  3. Some forward movement on potential moving (do you like that vague play on words?).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...