Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A Closet Full of Shoes

How did I not know that Shel Silverstein has a poem called "A Closet Full of Shoes?"  It must have been in the book I didn't have, but I found it today while wandering around looking at other stuff and now I share it with you:

Party shoes with frills and bows,
Workin’ shoes with steel toes,
Sneakers, flip-flops. And galoshes,
Brogans, oxfords, satin pumps,
Dancin’ taps and wooden clumps,
Shoes for climbin’ shoes for hikes,
Football cleats and baseball spikes,
Shoes of shiny patent leather,
Woolly shoes for winter weather,
Loafers, rough-outs, sandals, spats,
High heels, low heels, platforms, flats,
Moccasins and fins and flippers,
Shower clogs ballet slippers…
A zillion shoes and just one missin’--
That’s the one that matches this’n. 

It might not be my favorite of his, but I still love it, and it's about shoes, so of course I need to know it!  Now in honor of one of my favorite authors, I give you the poem visually (and with commentary):


Party shoes with frills and bows.  These are VERY froofy!  I think Fancy Nancy and Pinkalicious would approve.

Workin’ shoes with steel toes.  These might be the cutest steel toed shoes I've ever seen.


Sneakers, flip-flops. And galoshes.  Turquoise!


Brogans, oxfords, satin pumps.  I've heard the word brogan before, but never really thought about it or looked to see what kind of shoe it was.  So now I've learned something new!


Dancin’ taps and wooden clumps.  I don't actually know what wooden clumps are, but I figure wooden clogs make a clumping sound when you walk.

Shoes for climbin’ shoes for hikes.  I'm terrified of heights, but the green is pretty.  You know, for climbing walls not higher than 5 feet or so.  Love the hiking boots. 


Football cleats and baseball spikes. I like the colors.  That's about all I've got on these.


Shoes of shiny patent leather.  You know I love these.


Woolly shoes for winter weather.  So snuggly looking.


Loafers, rough-outs, sandals, spats.  Again, not sure what rough-outs are, but I thought worn-in cowboy boots seemed appropriate.  Also, I think spats are cool.  Weird, but cool.

High heels, low heels, platforms, flats.  I would wear all of these.  Of course, I'd only wear the platforms if I was really drunk and bowling, but hey, they're bright!

Moccasins and fins and flippers.  3 things I really never wear and don't have much desire for, despite the pretty colors.

Shower clogs ballet slippers.  Who wears clogs in the shower?  These were the closest I could find because trust me, you do NOT want to google the phrase "shower clogs," especially if you're like me and the sight of hair in the drain makes you gag...

I probably spent way more time on this post than I should have, but oh well, I need some entertainment in my day.  Especially today as I've felt yucky all day.  Just weird tummy issues, but I'd really rather be home in bed than at my desk.  Thankfully I have Shel Silverstein and shoes to help be through the yuck.

Memory Lane: 2013. 2014.

3 comments:

  1. I have a pair of pink fake Crocs that I wear in the shower at the Y. So I have shower clogs 😊 KMc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about Crocs. Good to know that someone has a use for shower clogs!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...