Sunday, January 13, 2013

I am NOT Old...Or am I?

Yesterday's post got me thinking along the lines of comments people make about my shoes.  I often get comments like, "Oh, I can't wear shoes like that anymore, it's nice to be young like you."  And I often reply with something along the lines of, "I know I won't be able to wear them forever, so I'm enjoying them now."  Which then led me to think about when that might be.  I'm 37, which sometimes seems surreal.  Yes, I know I'm not old per se, but it definitely gets me to thinking.
 
I recently joined a group called the Young Clergy Women Project and the requirements are that you have to be a woman, between the ages of 20 and 40, ordained before 35.  So, I fit.  But wait...I'll be 40 in just a little over 2 years.  Do they kick me out, then?  Does this mean I'm now on the old side of young?  Is there another group for Middle Aged Clergy Women?
 
 
Baby after my own heart...adorable shoes!
 
I've also been thinking about babies.  (No, I AM NOT PREGNANT!)  The hubby and I have only been married 4 1/2 months, but I'm not getting younger.  Dr's appointments can be depressing when we have to talk about my advanced age in terms of getting pregnant.  And yes, I happen to have many friends who have delivered happy, healthy babies when they (the mommies) were in the area of 40 and above.  But let's just say that hearing the phrase, "your eggs are old" come out of my Ob/Gyn's mouth was not the greatest day.  I mean, come on, lady, I didn't think there was a way to make those appointments worse!
 
When I was younger I always thought I wanted a really big family.  4-10 kids was the range.  That has changed as I've gotten older.  Part of it now is that it's too late to be having that many kiddos.  The bigger part would be my mom's day-care, and my experience taking care of wonderful, adorable, amazing children.  I'm not being sarcastic.  I've loved them all.  But the day I found myself with 2 in the stroller and 1 walking as we went to pick up nieces and their friends from the 1st day of school was the day I realized I'm not cut out for having a large family.  I think I ended up with 8 kids to walk back to my mom's house that day, and it was like herding cats.  Except that cats aren't all trying to talk/tattle/cry at the same time.
 
Some posts meander.  Welcome to my brain.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...