Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Denim

I woke up this morning and realized that I didn't post yesterday.  I wasn't particularly busy, I just forgot.  I did spend the evening with the parents, Double A and The Bean watching Adventures in Babysitting but there's no reason I couldn't also have posted.  No idea where my brain was.  Maybe it was still in shock over the lovely gift of an EXTRA WEEK WITH MY FAMILY that the hubby gave me.  Isn't he awesome?  Yes.  Yes, he is.  Today was quiet but lovely.  I took Mom to her dr.'s appointment and then we had lunch with Dad, followed by some errand running.  I picked Double A and The Bean up from school.  We made Rocky Road no-bake bars (ohmygoodnessyum).  I went for a walk.  I crocheted.  Now I'm writing a post.  Quiet, but delightful.

So today is Denim Day.  I did a denim post last year when Denim Day was on April 29th , but I clearly did not go and read about the day, because it's not simply about wearing denim (which I did because it's cool enough here to wear jeans - yay), it's actually a day to raise awareness about sexual violence:

"For the past 17 years, Peace Over Violence has run its Denim Day campaign on a Wednesday in April in honor of Sexual Violence Awareness Month. The campaign was originally triggered by a ruling by the Italian Supreme Court where a rape conviction was overturned because the justices felt that since the victim was wearing tight jeans she must have helped her rapist remove her jeans, thereby implying consent. The following day, the women in the Italian Parliament came to work wearing jeans in solidarity with the victim. Peace Over Violence developed the Denim Day campaign in response to this case and the activism surrounding it. Since then, wearing jeans on Denim Day has become a symbol of protest against erroneous and destructive attitudes about sexual assault. In this rape prevention education campaign we ask community members, elected officials, businesses and students to make a social statement with their fashion by wearing jeans on this day as a visible means of protest against the misconceptions that surround sexual assault. This year’s Denim Day is April 27, 2016."

This is a day that needs more publicity because sexual violence is NEVER the victim's fault.  In celebration and solidarity of the day, here are some denim shoes:










I love them all.

Memory Lane: 2013. 2014. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...