Saturday, August 1, 2015

Bread and Wine

I'm preaching tomorrow, which means I'm working on my sermon this afternoon.  Yes, I'm still allowed to preach, I'm just not allowed to wear a collar or stole while doing so.  You could preach, too, if you had a mind to.  Anyone can preach.  Anyhoo, tomorrow is one of the many bread texts that happen during this particular round of the lectionary cycle, and I was thinking I would do tomorrow's post around bread since that's what I'll be preaching on, but it turns out that today is Lammas and Lughnasadh.  What are Lammas and Lughnasadh, you ask?  Well, you could have clicked on the links and saved me some typing, but whatever, I'll tell you.  

Lammas:  "In some English-speaking countries in the Northern Hemisphere, August 1 is Lammas Day (Anglo-Saxon hlaf-mas, "loaf-mass"), the festival of the wheat harvest, and is the first harvest festival of the year. On this day it was customary to bring to church a loaf made from the new crop, which began to be harvested at Lammastide."

Lughnasadh:  "Lughnasadh or Lughnasa (pronounced /ˈlnəsə/, LOO-nə-sə; Irish: Lúnasa, /ˈl̪ˠuːn̪ˠəsˠə/; Scottish Gaelic: Lùnastal, [ˈl̪ˠu:nəsd̥əl̪ˠ]; Manx: Luanistyn, [ˈluanɪst̪ən]) is a Gaelic festival marking the beginning of the harvest season."

See how appropriate it is that I'm working on texts that have to do with bread?  At least I think it's appropriate.  So in celebration of bread texts and harvest festivals, here are some shoes that make me think of both (also communion):


I kind of wish I had these to wear to preach in tomorrow.  Except, of course, that they would be terribly itchy.
 

Maybe these would be less itchy?  But you know how I love to preach in heels (or out of them, as the case usually is).


Or these!  Lots of colors to choose from, but still going with the theme.  I love a good theme shoe.  And, I'm guessing (hoping) these wouldn't be itchy.
 

I've posted these before, and I think they're kind of cool if they were a decoration on a food table, but I keep seeing pictures of people actually wearing them, and that's just gross.  Even I won't go that far for a theme.  I know carbs are bad, but just avoid them, don't shove them on your feet!


Moving on to the grape portion of today's events.  How cute are these?  They are definitely going into the imaginary canvas shoe collection!


I posted this before in the black version.  It's pretty crazy.  Does it really need the fake grapes?  It might be kind of cute, if oddly shaped, without them.


And, of course, the finished product.  I liked the plaid shoe wine holder.

So, bread and wine, and random harvest festivals.  I think you can probably work with that to find a way to celebrate this first day of August!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...