Friday, April 3, 2015

Tweed

Today is Good Friday, and while it is an extremely important day in the lives of Christians (you can't have Easter unless you have Good Friday), it's just not a theme I want to seek out in shoes.  So I went to my reliable holidays page, and today is:
  •  Find a Rainbow Day
  • Good Friday
  • Hospital Admitting Clerks Day
  • National Chocolate Mousse Day
  • National Don't Go To Work Unless It's Fun Day
  • National Tweed Day
  • National Walk To Work Day
  • Pony Express Day
  • Weed Out Hate:  Sow The Seeds of Greatness Day
  • World Party Day 
Hmmm...Good Friday is a different date every year, so it doesn't always fall on National Don't Go To Work Unless It's Fun Day or World Party Day, neither of which seem terribly appropriate (although I encourage you to celebrate both next year).  National Chocolate Mousse Day is awesome, wish I'd checked sooner.  And Pony Express Day?  Fun!  But tonight's post is celebrating National Tweed Day.  I have to admit I didn't really know much about tweed.  I mean, I can recognize it when I see it, but what's it made of?  So I turned to Wikipedia for some help:

Tweed is a rough, unfinished woollen fabric, of a soft, open, flexible texture, resembling cheviot or homespun, but more closely woven. It is made in either plain or twill weave and may have a check or herringbone pattern. Subdued, interesting colour effects (heather mixtures) are obtained by twisting together differently coloured woollen strands into a two- or three-ply yarn.

There.  Who said my blogs weren't educational?  No, really.  Who said that?  So rude.

On to shoes!


I love tweed!  I would totally wear these.


This, too.  I could use a pair of cute flats like this.


When Flower was little she thought that saying please meant she could have whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted, and it would get more desperate every time she said it.  I am channeling Flower now as I say, "PLEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEE!"  Blue.  Adorable.  Want.
 

Ooooh...fuchsia and sassy.  PS...why is fuchsia such a funky word to spell?
 

A little more dignified, but still cute.


How many times can I say cute?  Because these are, too.


I saw this shoe in a few colors, and I really like it except that the heel is funky.  Which is easily explained when you learn that this is another offering from Irregular Choice.  I'd say this is actually one of their more normal shoes.  Who knew?
 

These are, well they're orange plaid.  Cute shape, and they might be nice for Fall, but maybe they'd be better if they were a little less orange?  I want to like them, I really do!

So, I owe Tweed an apology.  If I ever thought of it, it was mostly in relation to stodgy old British people (sorry, Brits, I love you!) or stodgy old professors (sorry, academics, I love you, too!), but my mind has been opened and changed by some darn cute shoes.  I now love tweed.  At least on my feet.  I don't think I'm ready for a whole outfit unless I get invited to go hunting with some stodgy old British people or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...