Friday, March 6, 2015

Happy Birthday, Grandpa

Today was my Grandpa's (mom's dad) birthday.  He was born in 1906, so if he were still living he would have been 109.  Sadly he died 25 years ago, which seems crazy.  I was 14 when he died, so he's been gone from my life a lot longer than he was in it.  I wish I could have known him as an adult.  In honor of his birth, tonight's post is all about shoes from 1906.  They're all women's shoes because frankly they're more fun.  Men's shoes from that time are pretty much just black and basic.  So, no offense to my grandpa, (I don't think he would be offended (although he totally would have acted like it and pretended to be really grumpy)) but tonight's shoes will be ones he wouldn't have worn.  Of course, he wouldn't have worn them regardless as he was an infant at the time.






As always, I don't guarantee 100% accuracy that these are all actually from 1906.  The internet says so, but you know how reliable that can be.  Having said that, they definitely are similar enough that I believe they're all from around the same time.  You won't be surprised to know that I like them as I've said that about this basic shape before.  Hmmm...I wonder if my Great Grandma had any shoes like these?  I've only seen pictures of her, but as a kid I thought she looked like my grandpa with a bun, so I can't quite picture her wearing girlie shoes.  And now I've possibly offended 2 generations, so it's time to wrap this up.


Just one more.  These actually say they are from 1908, but it's close enough, and they look like the ones above.  Also Grandpa died on February 24th, so the date was too close to pass up.

Love you, Grandpa!

2 comments:

  1. I rather doubt that Grandma Emmy had fancy shoes and she had bunions so those would have been painful. They look like something you might still see women wearing now even though the heels are a little chunky. I remember Dad saying he prefered no shoes since they only got one pair a year. ME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think she would have, but I didn't want to assume since I didn't know her.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...